This is not my main blog. This is the other blog. The one that charts all the random bumps on the highway that is life. It was also my first blog, so it is, in it's own special way, still the best.

The other one, the one that I update regularly, can be found here.

That's all for now.

February 15, 2007

Cultural Sittings

Last night I went to the Ballet with a friend and her parents (and before anyone starts leaping to Valentine type conclusions, she's just a friend and her boyfriend hates Ballet). The Ballet in question was called Marjorie's World Unhinged and was completely unlike any idea of Ballet you have. It involved films being shown on screens and dances with balloons and dresses. It was rather good though. It took the first half for me to really get into the style of it, people dancing to the spoken word was not quite what I expected. Vignettes of sound and movement, a ballet class seen from above (with two people dancing on the floor).

One of the later dances involved a man dancing with a dress and pretending it was his mother. It was scarily believable the way he got the dress to move, like there was another person there.

It was also the type of show where I think it will take me a while to put all of the different pieces together. Every dance was a sort of dream in a way, and had that odd, dream like quality to it where nothing is quite what it seemed. A father and son dancing became an older man dancing with his younger self and back again.

To be honest, I don't think I'll be able to put a proper feeling on it for another couple of weeks or so. I'd also like to see it again just so I can properly appreciate it.

But overall I think i enjoyed it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sounds fab.
would have been a pretty crap date if she brought her parents! ;-)